Work Permit Regulations for Fruit Pickers in Norway

Posted by | 30th July 2013 | Employment Regulations, Scandinavia

Each year, around 15,000 workers come to Norway in relation to seasonal work in agriculture. The majority of these are citizens of Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia and most commonly sought after jobs are berry and mushroom picking.

A. EU country members:

All EEA nationals can work in Norway without permit. However, they must register with the police within no later than 3 months since their arrival to Norway.

If you are already working without having been registered with the police, you must bring your employment contract at the nearest Police station urgently and register.

B. Non EU country members:

Foreign citizens who are not members of a EEA country must hold a residence permit in order to work in Norway. You can apply for a residence permit once you have an employment offer or contract. In most cases of seasonal employment, the employer usually applies for the permits but you must give them authorization to do so.

Once the residence permit is granted, the worker can start work and must make sure that they apply for a renewal of the permit within no less than a month of the expiry date on the current permit, if an extension is required.

How to apply for a residence permit:

Normally, you can submit an application at the Norwegian Embassy or Consulate of the country you currently reside in. You must fill in this form and submit it together with the documents listed on this file: list of documents to accompany the application form for a residence permit in Norway.

You can also apply online – details about the online process can be found here:

For more information about these applications you can visit the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration website.

Paying Tax in Norway

When you work for an employer in Norway, you must also pay tax. If your stay in Norway does not exceed 6 months, special tax rules apply. Bring your employment contract and passport to the nearest tax office and you will be issued with a tax card. If you don’t have a tax card, your employer will retain 50% of your wage. Otherwise, the tax you have to pay is usually only one third of your salary.


Related Jobs in Finland

7395 total views, 2 today

Tags: , , , ,